Friday, 13 November 2015

'Respect in Relationships' and 'Substance Abuse' life skills lessons

Good evening,

I hope that you all had a good first week back.

This week in lifeskills the students looked at Respect in Relationships and Substance Abuse.

They focused on the values that are required in relationships of any kind. They also looked at romantic relationships and the importance of respect and consent. There were discussions about the values we look for in a romantic partner, how they should make us feel, when it is appropriate to enter a romantic relationship and when it is appropriate to hold hands, hug and kiss for the first time. It was an interesting lesson with lots of great ideas and the students showed real maturity with this topic.

Today's lesson was about substance abuse. Students engaged well with an activity to creatively show the effects of drugs. They learned about the negative effects of drugs and how they affect people and their lives as well as of those people around them or involved in drugs. They created posters I was very proud of. However unfortunately, during the presentations of said posters the students as a whole showed real disrespect towards our invited guest and each other. An email has been sent with regards to this so I won't say anything further here. I would appreciate your support in talking to your children about this behaviour and getting them to reflect upon their actions. I demand the upmost respect for all and listening to an outside speaker is of course a must.  Thank you.

Hoping to see you all at the Save the Children event at school tomorrow (Saturday 14th November) beginning at 8:30am. We ask that students are there at 8:15am ready for the event, families are welcomed and encouraged to attend also.

Have a nice weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment